RSPA All-Star Night & Barbecue Friday, August 8, 2014
Updated November 1, 2014
The RSPA All-Star Night & Barbecue was held Friday night at Wildwood Park with a FREE BARBECUE.
The male home run hitting contest ended in the finals because the lights went out.
Time flies when you're having fun!
Shawn Simard from Tribe was leading at the time,
and Tommy Hammond of Dirty Dozen and Jeff Aishford from Bucket Bombers were still in the running.
No coincidence that all three are on Comp teams.
The female home run hitting contest won by Sarah Manson from Bucket Bombers beating Tara R from Looseballs in the finals.
Leah C. from Inferno won the female baserunning in a time of 13.59 seconds,
beating out Agy W. from Upper Deck and Melanie from Looseballs.
Kosta S. from Upper Deck won the male baserunning in a time 11.63 seconds (that is fast!),
beating out Gennaro C. from Game of Throws, Richard S. from Mixed Balls, and David F. from Dirty Dozen.
Gennaro C. from Game of Throws won the Outfield Throwing Accuracy.
Dirty Dozen beat Tribe in the team throwing contest "Around The Horn".
And my sincere apologies to the entrants of the pitching contest as it was cancelled due to lack of time.
The lights went out on us and we didn't finish all the events as it was.
The kids had a baserunning contest and won sets of headphones (that we luckily had on hand).
Check out the photos to see what a fun night it was!
On that note, thanks to the player (who I don't remember) for stepping up and taking all the photos.
The RSPA All-Star Night is a result of a lot of work and cannot be succesful without the help we got
from an amazing crew of volunteers!
Thanks to Al and Cathy from Upper Deck who did registrations and event scheduling;
Gootch from Clippers was the money man; his wife Darlene handled the prizes;
Ian, Ed Sato and Judy manning the barbecue as usual;
Terry, Krista and Paul from Tailgaters running some of the events;
Nolan did the baserunning timing; Shawn and Greg handled the throwing contest;
Larry, Wayne and some scribbly name judged the Round the Horn;
Janet and Pam and Deby Alvia did the draw prizes;
Umpie Wayne and Rick were supposed to do the pitching contest which got cancelled but helped out in other ways;
and finally Ed G. who managed to hold down a folding chair with great care and tenacity.
This event was dedicated to Chris Allen, a fund-raiser for the Heart and Stroke Foundation,
and we raised $1482.85 for Heart and Stroke.
Click on the pictures for a larger view
RSPA Slo-Pitch 2012 All-Star Night
The RSPA 2012 All-Star Night & Barbecue was cancelled
as the city closed the parks due to inclement weather.
RSPA Slo-Pitch 2011 All-Star Night
The RSPA All-Star Night & Barbecue was held on Friday, August 12, at Wildwood Park
with a FREE BARBECUE and a variety of baseball contests.
The 2011 RSPA All-Star Night was dedicated to Chris Allen
with donations going to the Heart & Stroke Foundation in his name.
We collected $1963.11 in Canadian; $6.25 in US and a Jamaican $10 coin
that I think is worth $0.13 and the league donated the difference
to bring it up to a total $3000.00 donation.
- Mike Flemming from Flaming Arifs won the male home run hitting contest,
with Peter from the Dragons in second place.
- Christina Vecchiato from Master Batters won the female home run hitting contest,
with Tracy from the BYOB in second place.
- Jeremy Short from the Hawks won the male base running for the second year in a row,
with Omar from Ruff Ryders in second place and Graeme from Woodies in third place.
- Bertina from the ASU Sun Devils won the female base running contest,
with Kristina from A-Rod in my Pujols in second and Courtney from Flaming Arifs in third.
- Flaming Arifs won the team throwing contest; with A-Rod and ASU Sun Devils second and third.
Only 3 teams managed to complete the course without throwing the ball away.
- George Raposo from Hawks won the male individual throwing accuracy contest.
- Molly Cote from BYOB won the female individual throwing accuracy contest.
- Bergy from Chicks & Dicks won the pitching contest.
- Thanks to all the volunteers who stepped up to help run this huge event.
Special thanks to Jeff Warren for an amazing job!
- Another great night out with RSPA!
RSPA Slo-Pitch 2010 All-Star Night
The RSPA 2010 All-Star Night & Barbecue was held on Friday, August 13 at Wildwood Park.
A great success with free barbecue; free pop and water - and lots of competition;
- Jeremy Short from Hawks won both the home run and base-running contest.
- Justin from TNT was second in the home run and Matt from Misfits was second in the base running.
- Graham from Woodies was third in the base running.
- Krista from Heres To Grizz beat Lily-Ann from Dragons in the female home run contest.
- Michelle from Misfits beat Camille from Ruff Ryders in the base running.
- Hawks were first in the team throwing contest "around the horn",
- with Dragons in second and Heres to Grizz in third.