RSPA Slo-Pitch League Constitution & By-Laws
Revised Date: March 22, 2017
ARTICLE 1 - NAME:
- The name of the Organization / League shall be "RECREATIONAL SLO-PITCH ASSOCIATION
hereinafter referred to as "R.S.P.A.".
- Formerly known as "York-Peel Slo-Pitch League" (1993).
- Formerly known as "Islington Slo-Pitch League" (1983-1992).
- Originally known as "Zenith Slo-Pitch League" (1981-1982).
ARTICLE 2 - AFFILIATION:
- The League may be affiliated with recognized sanctioning bodies
and would pay appropriate membership fees/dues as would be required.
- See BY-LAWS for current affiliation.
ARTICLE 3 - LOCATION:
- The League is deemed as being located in both Toronto (including Etobicoke, but not limited to)
and Mississauga, all in the Province of Ontario, Canada.
- See BY-LAWS for current mailing address.
ARTICLE 4 - PURPOSE:
- The purpose of the League shall be to promote, govern, improve and develop the game of Slo-Pitch,
in a responsible and organized environment for personal enjoyment and recreation of its participants,
particularly at the "recreational" level.
- The League and its officers are amateur athletes.
- The League shall be operated as a non-profit (unregistered) organization. (see By-Laws).
ARTICLE 5 - BY-LAWS:
- The BY-LAWS, appended to this Constitution shall describe the organization and function of the League,
the League Executive, the terms of membership and the means by which individuals may elect the
League Representatives and influence activities of the League.
- All By-Laws must be in accordance with recognized sanctioning bodies,
except as noted and amended in the OFFICIAL RULES OF PLAY.
ARTICLE 6 - VOTING PROCEDURES:
- Each team is represented by two (2) voting members.
- Majority rules (teams may split vote).
- Nominations/motions must be seconded by a representative of another team.
- The President only votes in a tie.
- No Proxy voting, unless approved by the League Executive.
ARTICLE 7 - AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION:
- All amendments to the constitution must be voted on and passed unanimously
by all current members of the League Executive.
No vote shall be allowed if any Executive are absent.
Executive may vote by proxy, by email or by telephone.
- Any amendment to the constitution may be brought to a vote to the Team Representative
by any one member of the League Executive.
RSPA Slo-Pitch League By-Laws
Revised Date: November 13, 2013
BY-LAW #1 - Membership:
- Membership (team unit and/or players) are subject to approval by the League Executive.
- The League retains the right to revoke Membership at any time should a team or player conduct
itself/himself/herself in any manner detrimental to the well-being of the League.
BY-LAW #2 - Conduct:
- All members (players, coaches, managers, umpires, Executive, etc.) shall uphold, observe and conform to the
League Rules, League By-Laws and such regulations and amendments as adopted by the League Executive.
- At all times, all members (players, coaches, managers, umpires, Team Representatives, Executive, etc.)
must conduct themselves in an appropriate manner to ensure the respectability and integrity of the League and its members.
No consumption of alcoholic beverages on the field, in the dugout, or in the bleachers, stands, sidelines and parking lots.
Failure to confirm will result in loss of all points accumulated and may result in expulsion from the League
for either individual(s) and/or Team(s).
- TEAM REPRESENTATIVES: REMEMBER - YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR TEAM.
BY-LAW #3 - Membership Fees:
- All members (team units) must pay a membership fee as stipulated by the League Executive,
within pre-defined time limits.
- Membership fee is used to cover the operating costs.
Operating costs may include, but are not limited to:
diamond permit fees, umpire fees, league and championship awards, administration fees and operating costs,
insurance, affiliation membership fees/dues, equipment that is to be supplied by the League, etc.
- Membership fees and Initiation Fees (for new teams) shall be determined by the League Executive.
BY-LAW #4 - Affiliation:
- The League is currently registered with Slo-Pitch National Softball Inc.
- The League will recognize and uphold any suspension or expulsion of a player or team
that has been extended by Slo-Pitch National Softball Inc.
- The League Executive will rule on eligibility of players or teams
that are under suspension by other organizations.
BY-LAW #5 - Non-Profit:
- The League is to be operated as a not-for-profit organization (unregistered).
- No profits are to be disbursed.
BY-LAW #6 - League Executive:
- The League Executive shall consist of:
- a preferred number of 5 positions;
- a minimum of 3 positions; and
- a maximum of 7 positions.
- The following positions should be allocated:
President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.
President or Vice-President (but not both) may hold one other of these positions.
- Other positions may be filled, including but not limited to:
- Umpire-In-Chief; Scheduler; Convener; Coordinator; Web Support; Executive Assistant; etc.
- A position on the Executive may be allocated to a "Commissioner".
The Commissioner may not be affiliated with any team or League Executive.
- The Umpire-In-Chief will be appointed by the League Executive.
The Umpire-In-Chief may be a League Executive, Team Representative, League Member
(Player or Umpire) or may be a person not affiliated with the League.
- Committees may be set up within the League Executive for a specific purpose.
(Example: the Rules Committee, Social Committee, etc.).
BY-LAW #7 - Elections:
- Each year, at the first Team Representative meeting, the Team Representatives
will vote on the new League Executive positions.
- Prospective new members may be presented to the League Executive.
- The proposed League Executive may be confirmed by vote at the first Team Rep meeting.
- Elections will be held as required or sooner if the need arises.
- Incumbent Executives may be re-elected.
- There is no maximum term of office.
BY-LAW #8 - Signing Authority:
- Signing officer must be at least two (2) but preferably three (3) League Executives.
BY-LAW #9 - League Address:
- The current mailing address for the League is:
8 Buxton Court, Brampton, ON L6Z 3H9
Tel: (905) 840-7206; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Web Site: www.slopitch1.com/rspa
BY-LAW #10 - Annual Meetings:
- The Annual Executive Meeting will be tentatively scheduled for the first week of March each year.
Attending at this meeting will be current and prospective League Executives.
- The Annual General Meeting (or first Team Representative Meeting) will be held tentatively the first Tuesday
of April consisting of League Executives and Team Representatives.
- The final Team Representative Meeting will be held tentatively the first Tuesday
of May consisting of League Executives and Team Representatives.
- Subsequent meetings may be scheduled as necessary.
- Executive meetings may also be conducted on-line or by email.
- Proxy voting is not allowed unless approved by the League Executive.
BY-LAW #11 - Rules of Play:
- The League Rules of Play shall be based on the affiliating body’s (Slo-Pitch National) current rules.
- Rules of Play will be reviewed and updated, as needed, each year at the Executive Meeting.
- Amendments to the Rules of Play will be presented to the Team Representatives at the Annual Meeting,
in accordance with the Voting Procedures.
- Suggested changes to the Rules of Play may be presented at the Annual Meeting.
BY-LAW #12 - Team Classification:
- The League Executive shall have the right to classify teams for League Divisional Play.
- Classification will be based, primarily, on the previous year’s performance (League and/or Tournament).
In the case where significant roster changes have occurred, the League Executive must be advised,
in writing, stating full particulars.
- Any team has the right to appeal its classification to the League Executive;
but the League Executive retains the right to the final decision.
BY-LAW #13 - League Schedules/Format:
- RSPA League Parameters:
- Unbalanced schedule with teams having choice of preferred parks and nights;
- Crossover between divisions;
- Stress social activities;
- The League Executive shall determine the League division season format and play-off format.
BY-LAW #14 - Code of Conduct:
- RSPA will adopt the SPN Code of Conduct.
- RSPA will not accept any form of abuse, verbal, physical or emotional,
towards other players, umpires,
officials, spectators and others, on or off the field.
- RSPA will not allow any derogatory, disdainful, disparaging comments or remarks regarding
any player, person or program on the field or on any public forum, message board or bulletin board.
- All players are expected to treat teammates, coaches, umpires, opponents, spectators,
and members of the league executive with respect and courtesy.
- Teammates are expected to be supportive and encouraging of each other and to promote teamwork.
- Failure to comply with the RSPA Code of Conduct will result in expulsion from the game, removal from the field of play
and suspension from further league activity.
BY-LAW #15 - Amendments to the By-Laws:
- The BY-LAWS will be reviewed and updated, as needed, each year at the Executive Meeting.
- All amendments to the BY-LAWS must be voted on and passed unanimously by all current members of the League Executive.
No vote shall be taken if any Executive are absent.
- Any amendment to the BY-LAWS may be brought to a vote to the Team Representatives
by any one member of the League Executive.